Friday 7 November 2014

Egg fried cauliflower rice

Well having not written a post for a while I made a recipe the other night that made me so inspired to share it that I’ve been dying to write it ever since! It is one of a rare breed of imitation recipes that literally is almost indistinguishable from the real thing… its that good. As a result of this enthusiasm the photos are not that good as they were taken at night in bad light and in a rush as I was desperate to eat it, I may update the photos at a later date! 12.11.14. Updated photos added. 

And the recipe… egg fried ‘cauliflower-rice’. So good I’m not even sure I could tell it apart from the real thing in a taste test, and definitely no cauliflower taste at all! 




Even better than how good it tastes is how few ingredients  are involved, as long as you have a cauliflower and tamari or soy sauce in you could quite easily whip this up with whatever else you had in your fridge (assuming you have at least some vegetables hanging around in there). 

Well enough talk, here’s how you do it, 

You will need:
  • One large cauliflower 
  • 2 eggs (optional as you could make this vegan easily as well)
  • A selection of finely chopped vegetables – I used ½ a red pepper and ½ a yellow pepper, a shallot and spring onions 
  • A few cloves of garlic- I put three in but I do like things very garlic-y
  • Tamari or soy sauce 
  • Oil- I used coconut and sesame oil as I like the flavour of these but any would do. 

Method:
  • Cut the stalk of the cauliflower and roughly chop it into florets 
  • Pop the florets into a food processor and blend until they resemble rice consistency- don’t blend for too long though as they can turn mushy
  • Heat the oil up in a wok until it’s very hot and dropping something into it will cause a sizzle
  • Add the chopped veg and garlic and stir until they’re starting to soften 
  • Drop the egg into the pan and stir quickly so it scrambles 
  • Cook the veg and egg together for about 2-3 mins (longer if you like the veg well cooked but I like it to still be a bit crunchy) then add the 
  • Add the cauliflower to the wok and cook for about 5 minutes stirring often to ensure that it all cooks evenly  
  • Add a few glugs of tamari/ soy sauce until the rice is all coated and has darkened 
  • Season with salt and pepper to taste 
  • Enjoy – and believe me you will! 



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© The Vegetarian Atkins Diary

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig